- 4 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chili peppers, undrained
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef, stirring and breaking up large chunks, until no longer pink. You will probably need to brown the beef in batches.
- Transfer the ground beef to the slow cooker with the minced garlic, chopped onion, chili peppers, tomatoes, chili powders, cumin, salt, pepper, water or broth, and cornmeal.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 9 hours, checking and stirring about half way through the cooking time.
- Add a little more water if needed.
- Serve with cornbread and a tossed salad.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours.
From The Kitchen Of Linda Dickerson via Mary Jane Tasker
- 1.5 lb bacon
- 6 medium onions
- Garlic, Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 t. dry mustard
- 1.5 cup white vinegar
- 3-15 oz can kidney beans
- 3-15 oz can butter beans
- 3-15 oz can lima beans
- 6-15 oz cans pork & beans
- (All Beans Undrained)
Brown bacon and place slices on paper towel to drain.
Slice onions and saute in bacon drippings until soft, adding garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.
Add sugar, mustard and vinegar. Simmer 20 minutes.
Break crisp bacon into pieces and add and pour above mixture over beans.
Bake in covered, greased casserole at 350 degrees for 75-90 minutes.
*NOTE: Casserole may need to be uncovered towards end of baking time to release some liquid — don’t let it dry out!