- 4 pounds ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chili peppers, undrained
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef, stirring and breaking up large chunks, until no longer pink. You will probably need to brown the beef in batches.
- Transfer the ground beef to the slow cooker with the minced garlic, chopped onion, chili peppers, tomatoes, chili powders, cumin, salt, pepper, water or broth, and cornmeal.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 9 hours, checking and stirring about half way through the cooking time.
- Add a little more water if needed.
- Serve with cornbread and a tossed salad.